Join Julian Velard for an in-depth discussion in this video Dominant 7th chords, part of Music Theory for Songwriters: Harmony.
- Dominant 7th chords play very important…harmonic roles in many styles of music.…First, let's talk about how to make them…and then why and where we use them.…If I raise the 3rd of minor 7th chord…to create a major 3rd.…I can create what's called a dominant 7th chord.…Here's a C minor 7.…If we raise the minor 3rd,…which is an E flat to an E,…we have a dominant 7th chord.…
You can also look at the chord…as a major triad with a minor 7th added…or as a major 3rd followed by 2 minor 3rds.…Here's our C dominant 7th chord again…and we see it's a C major triad…with a minor 7th on top.…We can also look at it starting on the root…and then a major 3rd which is E…then a minor 3rd which is G…and then another minor 3rd which is B flat.…
The dominant 7 chord occurs on the 5th degree…of the major scale.…Here's our C dominant 7.…Belongs to F major.…Here's F major.…The chord built on the 5th degree…of F major is C dominant 7…and we'll build a chord on that C.…The dominant 7th symbol is a note name…with a 7 next to it.…
When talking about dominant 7 chords…
In this installment, musician Julian Velard digs into more intermediate-level music theory topics. Starting with minor scales, he shows examples of classic songs in minor keys, and then explores the modes of the diatonic scale (e.g., the mixolydian mode). Next, Julian dives into chords with 4 or more notes, covering 7th chords, chord extensions (e.g., 9ths, 11ths, and 13ths), suspended chords, diminished chords, augmented chords, and inversions. Finally, he covers key centers, modulations, pedal points, alternate bass notes, and polychords. At the end of each chapter, Julian explains the techniques shown within the context of his own original songs.
- Working in minor scales
- Using Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, and Mixolydian modes to write songs
- Extending chords
- Using 7th chords in a song
- Transposing a song
- Building different harmonies from a single melody
Skill Level Beginner
Music Theory for Songwriters: Rhythmwith David Franz1h 35m Beginner
Songwriting Techniques with Chordswith Julian Velard2h Intermediate
Sibelius 8 Essential Training: 101with Jenny Amaya5h 38m Beginner
1. Minor Keys and Modes
2. Four-Note Chords and Beyond
3. Key Centers, Modulations, and Alternate Bass Notes
Next steps1m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.