In order to have success in the music business as a songwriter, industry pro Cliff Goldmacher, suggests making sure you do one business thing every day. In this weekly songwriting training video, Cliff talks about how daunting it can be to think about the business side of music. By breaking it down into small pieces and doing one thing a day, Cliff suggests that you'll make much more progress without feeling overwhelmed.
- Do one business thing every day.…This is the musical equivalent of eating your vegetables.…They may not taste great but they're good for you.…It's the same with the business side of music.…We all know how much more fun it is to play the guitar…or sing or even write compared to making phone calls,…sending emails or following up on something you've…already submitted.…If you're hoping to have financial success…with your music, then they're all equally important.…By making the rule that you'll do one business thing…every day, this means that at the end of the year,…you'll have done 365 things to further your career…above and beyond your songwriting.…
I can guarantee that's more than most.…
Listen to the songs Cliff references in the course by subscribing to his Spotify playlist, Cliff's Weekly Songwriting Tips.
- Writing lyrics that are easy to sing
- Putting the message in the chorus
- Being productive at home
- Putting the hook at the end of the chorus
- Keeping rhyme schemes consistent
- Using repetition in melodies
- Making rough recordings
- Reading poetry for inspiration
- Writing at a regular time
- Taking a writing assignment
- Cutting down a song's length
Skill Level Beginner
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.