Isolating how rhythm guitar tunes are built, how they feel, and how they sound in the context of bluegrass, this lesson is a great practicing tool to build comfort moving between the chords in a 1-4-5 pattern in the key of G (moving between G, C, and D chords).
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- It's been said a lot that country music…is three chords and the truth.…And there's a lot of truth to that, so.…In bluegrass, similar thing.…A lot of songs just have three chords.…And so in our studies of learning these chord shapes…and learning how to strum, the strum of these chords,…we're gonna start sort of isolating how these songs,…how these bluegrass songs are built…from a rhythm guitar standpoint.…It's very important that as bluegrass players…we build a sense of…where these chords, how they fall,…what they look like, what they feel like,…how they sound.…
As bluegrass rhythm guitar players,…you want to support a band essentially.…The bluegrass guitar in a rhythm aspect,…rhythmically speaking is…is one of the key elements.…It's at least important as any,…you know the banjo role or the melody…or the lead singer.…Rhythm guitar is you know, you can't stress…its importance too much, so.…What I've got here as far as learning about this stuff…and beginning with these sort of ideas…or playing bluegrass are some patterns.…
Note: This course was recorded and produced by ArtistWorks. We are honored to host this training in our library.
- Holding the guitar
- Tuning the guitar
- Picking hand and fretting hand techniques
- Combining picking and fretting
- Practicing picking pattern exercises
- Changing chords and rhythm
- Playing traditional bluegrass tunes
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting Started
2. Right- and Left-Hand Fundamentals
3. Picking Pattern Exercises
4. Basic Rhythm and Chords
Rhythm and chords overview1m 26s
5. Basic Bluegrass Tunes 1
ArtistWorks and Next Steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.