Join Barron Stone for an in-depth discussion in this video Zener diodes, part of Electronics Foundations: Semiconductor Devices.
- [Instructor] Unlike normal diodes which…are used to block current in the reverse direction,…Zener diodes are intentionally used…to conduct reverse current in the breakdown mode.…They're a special type of diode that's designed…to have a very precise breakdown voltage…called the Zener breakdown or Zener voltage.…When the reverse voltage across a Zener diode…is increased to that Zener voltage,…Zener diode will enter the breakdown mode and…allow current to flow through it in the reverse direction.…So the reverse voltage drop across a Zener diode…will never exceed that constant breakdown voltage.…
Since the Zener diodes are used in such a unique way,…they get their own unique symbol…which looks like a standard diode symbol…but the cathode lines are slightly crooked at the ends.…Knowing the Zener voltage of a…specific diode is critical to using it.…So the breakdown voltage value is usually printed…next to the symbol on a schematic diagram.…The value 5V1 printed next to this Zener diode…means it has a Zener breakdown voltage of 5.1 volts.…
- Semiconductor materials
- Diode applications
- Rectifying a signal
- Detecting the signal peak
- Protecting against large signals, reverse current, and flyback voltage
- Special purpose zener diodes, Schottky diodes, and photodiodes
- NPN and PNP bipolar junction transistors
- Using a BJT as a switch
- Field effect transistors
- Differences between BJTs and MOSFETs
- Operational amplifiers
- Op-amp applications
- Comparing signals
- Buffering signals
- Amplifying signals
- Filtering signals
- Combining signals
Skill Level Intermediate
Learning to use MakerBot 3D Printerswith Kacie Hultgren1h 5m Appropriate for all
2. Diode Applications
3. Special Purpose Diodes
4. Bipolar Junction Transistors
5. Transistor Applications
6. Field Effect Transistors
7. Operational Amplifiers
Feedback circuits6m 30s
8. Op-Amp Applications
Next steps1m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.