Learn about using an operating system for IoT and explore OS-related concepts and examples using an OS kernel, FreeRTOS. Review characteristics and technical requirements of OSs, and explore task management, memory management, and more.
- [Ryan] Hi, I'm Ryan Hu. I'm a professor and engineer, having many years of experience in the field of IoT and the sensor networks. Learning the fundamentals of an operating system for IoT will help you prepare for today and tomorrow's IoT challenges. We'll begin by exploring the basics of an operating system for IoT, including the general characteristics, architectures, types, and some typical operation systems on the market.
We'll look into the key topics with examples using a popular open source operating system, free Atos. These key topics include task management, intertask communication and a synchronization, memory allocation, timers, interrupts, and some debugging tools. I'm so excited to share that with you now.
- OS characteristics for IoT
- OSs for resource-constrained devices
- Linux OSs and Windows 10 IoT Core
- Main features of FreeRTOS
- Task schedulers and task management
- Intertask communication
- Allocating dynamic memory
- Debugging your OS-based applications