Document structured data and grow your skills in web API documentation. This course shows how to write and document using JSON and XML.
- APIs are revolutionizing the modern Internet. As the complexities of APIs increase, software companies need skilled technical writers who can document them. I'm Peter Gruenbaum, president of SDK Bridge, a company that specializes in API documentation. For eight years I was a commercial software developer, but in 2003 I combined my love of writing and technology to become a technical writer. This course will cover documenting structured data, which is the foundation of web API documentation.
I'll start by talking about how structured data works, and then I'll dive into the format called JSON, showing you both how to create JSON and how to document it. Then I'll do the same for the format called XML. Finally, I'll show you some of the tools that you can use to create high quality documentation. I'm excited to dive into the process of documenting APIs with you, so let's get started.
- The purpose of documentation
- Data types
- Structured data
- Writing JSON and XML
- Documenting one-level JSON responses
- Documenting nested JSON responses
- XML attributes and examples
- Documenting XML
- Structuring data documentation