What makes a great chief technology officer (CTO)? Learn tips and techniques for successfully transitioning into this role, including how to hire and cultivate a solid engineering team, manage the product life cycle, choose the right platform, and more.
- A chief technology officer is the person who spearheads technological innovation and product development in a company. There's been a lot of debate about what a chief technology officer is and isn't over the years. Ultimately, the CTO is responsible for creating a solid engineering team and building great products on time and on budget as well as providing innovative solutions and evangelizing the technology that's created. Hi, my name's Drew Falkman. I first became CTO in 1997 for a web agency I co-founded and since then, I've been CTO for a number of startups.
I've learned a few things, often the hard way, and spent a lot of time thinking about what makes a great chief technology officer and that's the purpose of this course. We're going to start with the most important thing, managing your team. Then we're going to talk about product and product management, the process that helps us to build usable apps that resonate in the market. Of course, the CTO is responsible for technology so we'll discuss important issues related to technology from choosing a platform to innovation to testing and R&D.
Because you'll be in charge of engineering, we'll go over some best practices for managing an efficient product lifecycle from design to launch. Communication is a key part of management, so we'll go over public speaking, running efficient meetings, fundraising, and some basic marketing. Many CTOs are new to the world of business, so we'll talk about some important items to know from accounting to scaling and crisis management. So let's take a look at what makes a great chief technology officer.
- Hiring a great team
- Enhancing team communications
- Creating a product roadmap
- Capturing and using data and analytics
- Identifying key performance indicators
- Choosing which platform to use
- Managing the product life cycle (PLC)
- Taking feedback
- Public speaking
- Running efficient meetings
- Marketing and launching products
- Growing and scaling
- Managing crises