Join Barron Stone for an in-depth discussion in this video Photodiodes, part of Electronics Foundations: Semiconductor Devices.
- [Instructor] A photodiode is basically the opposite…of a light emitting diode.…Unlike an LED, which converts electrical current…passing through it into light,…when light shines on the semiconductor junction…in a photodiode, the photodiode absorbs energy…from the light and converts it into electrical current.…The schematic symbol for a photodiode…is similar to the similar for an LED,…except that the arrow points in the other direction…to represent light shining onto the photodiode.…
Physically, photodiodes come in a variety of shapes…and sizes for different applications,…ranging from small photocells…that can be used to build light detector circuits…to large solar panels that can be used to power devices.…Some Through Hole photodiode components…come in a package that looks very similar to an LED.…So be careful not to get them mixed up in your parts kit.…Like LEDs, photodiodes are polarized components,…so their orientation in the circuit matters.…The Through Hole photodiodes that look similar to LEDs…use similar features to indicate orientation.…
- Semiconductor materials
- Diode applications
- Rectifying a signal
- Detecting the signal peak
- Protecting against large signals, reverse current, and flyback voltage
- Special purpose zener diodes, Schottky diodes, and photodiodes
- NPN and PNP bipolar junction transistors
- Using a BJT as a switch
- Field effect transistors
- Differences between BJTs and MOSFETs
- Operational amplifiers
- Op-amp applications
- Comparing signals
- Buffering signals
- Amplifying signals
- Filtering signals
- Combining signals
Skill Level Intermediate
Learning to use MakerBot 3D Printerswith Kacie Hultgren1h 5m Appropriate for all
2. Diode Applications
3. Special Purpose Diodes
4. Bipolar Junction Transistors
5. Transistor Applications
6. Field Effect Transistors
7. Operational Amplifiers
Feedback circuits6m 30s
8. Op-Amp Applications
Next steps1m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.