- [Instructor] Now that you know how…to document JSON in XML, I'm going to talk about the next steps…to learn how to be able to document web APIs.…We've been focusing on JSON and XML,…which are a big piece of API documentation.…Depending on the style of API,…there are other pieces of information…you'll need to document.…For example, you may need to describe authentication…and query parameters.…We've been focused on detailed reference materials for APIs,…but you can also create overview materials.…I've found that the people who create an API…often get lost in the details when describing it.…
They forget that developers…can't just jump into the details.…Your job is to write the overview material…to orient the reader.…How can you learn these next steps?…The I'd Rather Be Writing website contains…a useful text-based course called Documenting REST APIs.…REST is a commons style of Web API.…Also spend some time looking at existing API documentation.…The documentation for stripe.com is considered…a standard of good documentation,…
- The purpose of documentation
- Data types
- Structured data
- Writing JSON and XML
- Documenting one-level JSON responses
- Documenting nested JSON responses
- XML attributes and examples
- Documenting XML
- Structuring data documentation
Skill Level Intermediate
Introduction to JSON and XML Documentation
Next steps1m 10s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.