As CTO, you will report directly to the CEO, and often need to get buy-in from the COO (operations), CFO (finance) and even VPs of Sales or other parts of the organization. Learning how to work well with your co-managers and create a healthy relationship with your CEO will make you a stronger and more effective CTO.
- [Voiceover] As CTO, you'll usually report directly…to the CEO, or possibly the CIO in a larger organization.…Your relationship with your superior will dictate…just about everything about your job,…so it's absolutely critical that you learn…an important skill: managing up.…Managing up, simply put, is working effectively…with your boss, no matter what your position is.…This is really just taking proactivity to a new level,…owning responsibility for not only what you manage,…but how you're managed.…
In some ways, managing up means anticipating…what will make your CEO's life easier, and doing that.…My personal take is that this phrase has really come…to meaning just kissing up to your superior…by fulfilling their needs above all else,…but that's not what I'm talking about.…At this level, you aren't here to get a good reference,…you're here to make your company successful,…which often means not doing something…the way your boss wants, but doing it the right way.…So here are a few key ways you can obtain this.…
Make sure you have rapport and mutual respect.…
- Hiring a great team
- Enhancing team communications
- Creating a product roadmap
- Capturing and using data and analytics
- Identifying key performance indicators
- Choosing which platform to use
- Managing the product life cycle (PLC)
- Taking feedback
- Public speaking
- Running efficient meetings
- Marketing and launching products
- Growing and scaling
- Managing crises
Skill Level Intermediate
Careers in the Game Industrywith Christian Bradley1h 19m Beginner
1. Your Team
2. Product Management
4. Development and the Product Life Cycle
5. Marketing and Communication
6. Business and Entrepreneurship
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.