While data masking is an interesting feature, it does have a number of limitations. Learn about what works and what doesn't.
- [Instructor] Dynamic data masking is useful…and it's very easy to implement…and it can be used to prevent accidental exposure…of sensitive data when accessing…a production database directly.…It is important to note that…if unprivileged users have ad hoc query permissions,…they can apply techniques to gain access to the actual data.…This feature is best used when your application access…is really only direct from an application…and users don't have direct access to the database.…If there is a need to grant ad hoc access,…you should use SQL auditing…to monitor all database activity…and mitigate the scenario of ad hoc punching…through the data to see it.…
Dynamic data masking is not a replacement for encryption.…If you really want to protect your data from prying eyes…and you can't get those people away…from writing their own queries,…you should use other features…like auditing or encryption.…The real purpose of data masking…is to limit the exposure of sensitive data…to prevent users who should not have access…to the data from viewing it.…
- Designing row-level security
- Using views to implement row-level security in SQL Server pre-2016
- Data encryption
- Configuring Always Encrypted
- Dynamic data masking
Skill Level Beginner
SQL Server 2017: Linux, Docker, and macOSwith Adam Wilbert1h 44m Intermediate
SQL Server Performance for Developerswith Joey D'Antoni3h 44m Intermediate
Course software1m 3s
1. Row-Level Security (RLS)
2. Encryption in SQL Server
3. Data Masking in SQL Server
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.