This video extends the discussion on limiting work in progress (WIP) is necessary in Kanban and explains how WIP limits can be set on an improved version of the Kanban board in LeanKit. Additionally, the impact of task switching caused by setting high WIP limits is also discussed.
- When we work on more than one item,…we are still only working on one item…at a given point in time.…We switch between items.…Each switch causes a loss in productivity…because it takes time to be fully productive…on the second task.…Human beings cannot do task switching like computers.…Task switching breaks our rhythm…and sometimes we try to work on one item…but our brain may be occupied…with something related to another work item.…
Also, having multiple items…in our work queue causes distractions…because we struggle to focus on a single item.…All this leads to lower productivity…and causes delays in delivering business value.…Pull system pulls work only when the process…or a step within a process is ready to pull work items.…Limiting WIP makes Kanban a pull system.…We know that we cannot eliminate work in progress,…but we also know that WIP needs to be limited.…
We cannot set WIP to zero…because we cannot produce finished products by magic,…but why not set WIP to one for all steps?…Firstly, we need to have something to work on…
- Agile principles
- Scrum roles, artifacts, and rules
- Common myths and misconceptions about agile approaches
- Agile software engineering techniques
- Extreme programming (XP) and test-driven development (TDD)
- Kanban for developers
- Limiting work in progress (WIP)
- Scaling the output of agile teams
Skill Level Beginner
Agile at Work: Building Your Agile Teamwith Doug Rose1h 4m Intermediate
DevOps Foundations: Lean and Agilewith Ernest Mueller1h 26m Beginner
What you should know1m 2s
1. Agile Fundamentals
2. Scrum: The Developer Perspective
3. Agile Software Engineering Techniques
4. Kanban for Developers
5. Scaling Agile
Next steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.