- [Narrator] What comes to your mind when you hear the term IT developer? I bet some of you will immediately strike an image of someone with glasses, a tie and a pocket protector working away at a computer. Others may think of personalities like the founders of Apple. My point is that each of you have your own preconceived notion of what an IT developer profession is but are your mental images correct or something that the media has perpetuated over time? Undoubtedly, there are biased stereotypes that plague any profession.
Dispelling these biases offers a great starting point in developing a more comprehensive and precise understanding of what an IT developer career truly is. There are numerous flavors of IT developer jobs out there and it's impossible to cover all of them because new ones are still coming out even as we speak. The best approach is to focus on the major categories and career path. Each career path requires significantly different preparation.
However, they all share a common core of knowledge and skills. One of the most important aspects of being an IT developer is an ability to program machines. Here, the term developer implies an ability to build. In the case of IT developers, what you are building is IT systems consisting of hardware controlled by software produced through programming. However, programming skills by themselves are not very useful unless they are coupled with specific domains such as cybersecurity or system administration.
The main difference among various IT developer careers is what the focus is. Software engineers specialize in high quality software development while cybersecurity developers concentrate on preventing intrusions into your computer network. Another difference is that software engineering professionals should know much more about software development than system administrators. To system administrators, programming is just one of the tools available to make the job easier through automation but software engineers should be much more concerned about development methodologies, coding style, secure coding, et cetera.
For you to be successful as an IT developer, the key is to develop an expertise in a particular IT field so that you're competitive and eventually sought after. To reach this level of mastery, you really have to invest a lot of time, money and energy. I know that you are ready and willing to make this kind of commitment.
- Technical preparation for IT career paths
- Importance of soft skills
- Software engineering career options
- Careers in system administration
- Working in cybersecurity
- Careers in data science
- Working with machine learning
- Pursuing certifications
- Preparation tips