This video explains the agile concept of empiricism with the help of a simple real-life example. It emphasizes the impact of empirical approach as compared to the approach based on predictive planning.
- Empiricism is the concept…that knowledge is based on evidence and experience.…This is the exact opposite of predictive planning,…which encourages detailed planning up front…based on assumptions.…Let's assume you want to drive…from downtown Sacramento to downtown San Francisco.…What do we know about the commute?…We know that the distance between…downtown Sacramento and downtown San Francisco…is about 90 miles, and that you plan…to start your drive at around 4 p.m.…
on a Friday afternoon.…No GPS system is available,…so you will need to estimate the commute time.…The predictive approach would divide the distance…by the speed the driver typically drives.…So if we were to divide 90 miles by 65 miles per hour,…we would estimate a commute time of one hour and 23 minutes.…This approach has a fundamental flaw…as it ignores the context and experience…of the conditions in the real world.…
One empirical approach would be…to use the calculation from the previous step…but add about 30 minutes to the total estimated…commute time to account for typical traffic conditions…
- Agile principles
- Scrum roles, artifacts, and rules
- Common myths and misconceptions about agile approaches
- Agile software engineering techniques
- Extreme programming (XP) and test-driven development (TDD)
- Kanban for developers
- Limiting work in progress (WIP)
- Scaling the output of agile teams
Skill Level Beginner
Agile at Work: Building Your Agile Teamwith Doug Rose55m 3s Intermediate
DevOps Foundations: Lean and Agilewith Ernest Mueller1h 26m Intermediate
What you should know1m 2s
1. Agile Fundamentals
2. Scrum: The Developer Perspective
3. Agile Software Engineering Techniques
4. Kanban for Developers
5. Scaling Agile
Next steps1m 15s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.