- What is monitoring?
- Understanding the DevOps approach to monitoring
- Types of monitoring instrumentation
- Implementing software metric monitoring
- Implementing application monitoring
- Implementing log monitoring
- Visualizing your monitors
- Handling common monitoring challenges
Skill Level Intermediate
- DevOps is about developers and operations collaborating to deliver software at high speed to your users, and often that means being woken up in the middle of the night to address production issues. - Monitoring's how we know our services are working and what's wrong with them when they're not. - Howdy, I'm Earnest Mueller. - And I'm Peco Karayanev. Welcome to our course on monitoring and observability. - Peco and I first met while implementing DevOps at a large enterprise. We blog together at the agileadmin.com.
You may have seen me with different Agile admins in other DevOps courses here in the library. This time Peco joins me to bring his monitoring expertise and killer Bulgarian proverbs. - I'm a product manager at Riverbed and a performance engineer at heart. Riverbed is a digital performance company. - And I'm the director of engineering operations at AlienVault, a maker of computer security solutions for organizations of all sizes. - In this course we'll explore monitoring the DevOps way. - First we'll cover the basic theory behind monitoring and how to approach observability for your applications and systems.
- Then we'll examine each of the various kinds of monitoring, explain tools and instrumentation techniques, and discuss why they're useful. - Finally we'll talk about best practices and overcoming road blocks. - Let's get started.