Join Barron Stone for an in-depth discussion in this video Detect the signal peak, part of Electronics Foundations: Semiconductor Devices.
- [Instructor] A peak detector is a circuit…that measures the peak amplitude of a signal…to determine the highest voltage that a signal reaches.…One common use for peak detectors…is in audio processing systems.…Since the volume of an audio signal will vary…depending on it's voltage levels,…by monitoring the audio signal with a peak detector…to determine it's maximum value,…a sound system can appropriately scale it's output.…I can build a simple peak detector circuit…by connecting a diode in series with a capacitor.…
When a positive input voltage is applied to this circuit,…current will pass forward through the diode…and charge the capacitor up to that value.…If the input voltage is then reduced,…that charge stored in the capacitor…doesn't have anywhere to go,…since current can't pass backwards through the diode.…If the input voltage is then reduced,…that charge stored in the capacitor…doesn't have anywhere to go…since current can't pass backwards through the diode.…So, the capacitor remains charged…and holds that higher voltage from before.…
- Semiconductor materials
- Diode applications
- Rectifying a signal
- Detecting the signal peak
- Protecting against large signals, reverse current, and flyback voltage
- Special purpose zener diodes, Schottky diodes, and photodiodes
- NPN and PNP bipolar junction transistors
- Using a BJT as a switch
- Field effect transistors
- Differences between BJTs and MOSFETs
- Operational amplifiers
- Op-amp applications
- Comparing signals
- Buffering signals
- Amplifying signals
- Filtering signals
- Combining signals
Skill Level Intermediate
Learning to use MakerBot 3D Printerswith Kacie Hultgren1h 5m Appropriate for all
2. Diode Applications
3. Special Purpose Diodes
4. Bipolar Junction Transistors
5. Transistor Applications
6. Field Effect Transistors
7. Operational Amplifiers
Feedback circuits6m 30s
8. Op-Amp Applications
Next steps1m 9s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.