Data masking is a nice security feature that is simple to implement that helps you prevent low-privileged users from seeing sensitive data.
- [Instructor] Although cell-level encryption,…or Always Encrypted are good options for…obscuring personally identifiable information…and other sensitive data,…there are certain situations where you may have…certain user types who need to see a portion of the data.…For example, call center representatives…who need to see the last four digits of a customer's…Social Security Number for identification,…or you might want to avoid the complications…of enabling encryption for some low-level data…that's not sensitive,…to allow a developer to debug production data…without violating compliance regulations.…
Dynamic data masking is a feature that is used…to protect sensitive data from being presented…to end users in an application.…This is something that can be done in the application layer,…that is being done in the database.…It is a presentation-layer security feature,…and what that means is that data is stored…in an unmasked format in the database,…so don't confuse this with encryption.…It's not a full-on security feature,…
- Designing row-level security
- Using views to implement row-level security in SQL Server pre-2016
- Data encryption
- Configuring Always Encrypted
- Dynamic data masking
Skill Level Beginner
SQL Server 2017: Linux, Docker, and macOSwith Adam Wilbert1h 44m Intermediate
SQL Server Performance for Developerswith Joey D'Antoni3h 44m Intermediate
Course software1m 3s
1. Row-Level Security (RLS)
2. Encryption in SQL Server
3. Data Masking in SQL Server
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.