In the worst of cases, a CTO can end up working weekends, pulling all-nighters prior to a product launch, being bogged down with issues and flooded with crises. One of the more important skills of any aspiring CTO is to be proactive—in communication and in planning—so as to avoid having to constantly react to crises.
- [Narrator] Being proactive is the number one habit…in Stephen R. Covey's famous book, The Seven Habits…of Highly Effective People…and nowhere is this more important…than in technology management.…As a personal trait, proactivity is the act of taking…ownership of your life, your actions,…and your sphere of work.…Reactivity is the process of waiting for things to happen,…relying on other people and circumstances for direction.…Probably, one of the key traits…of reactivity is casting blame.…Be on the look out for this from yourself…and from your team.…
This isn't to say when things go wrong…it isn't someone's fault, but in reactive environments,…people quickly go to blame.…Instead, take ownership of everything in your sphere.…When things go wrong, instead of looking to blame,…look for the solution.…Encourage your team to do the same.…Smart managers respond to…market inflections, data, and customers.…Responding is different than reacting.…The difference is disconnecting the response…from the stimulus.…For example, if our conversion rate for new subscribers…
- Hiring a great team
- Enhancing team communications
- Creating a product roadmap
- Capturing and using data and analytics
- Identifying key performance indicators
- Choosing which platform to use
- Managing the product life cycle (PLC)
- Taking feedback
- Public speaking
- Running efficient meetings
- Marketing and launching products
- Growing and scaling
- Managing crises
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Your Team
2. Product Management
4. Development and the Product Life Cycle
5. Marketing and Communication
6. Business and Entrepreneurship
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.