When creating a screen capture video which you narrate, the quality of the sound will be an important factor in determining whether it is successful. Good audio is an important part of a quality video. Learn about the importance of recording good audio and how to adjust your audio settings in Snagit.
- [Voiceover] In the previous video, we took a look at how to capture our screen using video in Snagit. In this video, we want to take a look at how to adjust the audio settings for a video. Remember that my audio settings weren't exactly how I wanted them. So we'll take a look at how to adjust that. Now, audio is a very important part of a successful video. If you don't already have an external microphone, I do suggest you get one. You can go on Amazon and find a USB microphone that will plug in to your computer in the $30-$50 range that will greatly improve the audio.
Now, what I'm going to do is go over to the Capture Window. And at the top, I'm going to click on the gear icon for Settings. Here, I'm going to go down to More Preferences, and we're currently under the Capture tab. Remember there are different tabs up top: General, Capture, Outputs. We do want to be on the Capture tab. Now, down below, you'll see a couple things. For audio settings, it first says System Audio. If you do not have the component installed, you will not be able to capture system audio. But there should be a button here, allowing you to install that.
I currently have mine installed, so it's good to go. Now below that we have Microphone, and for Microphone, I can choose which Microphone I want to use. Here, if I click on it, I'm going to select my USBPre, which is a USB microphone that I'm using. Now, after this, there are a couple other things that I could change if I wanted to. For example, if I wanted to capture my cursor, or show a video countdown. I do like a video countdown because it allows you to get ready and prepare for the video. So, I have that done, I'm going to close out of this.
I'll navigate back to my Edmodo account. And now I'm ready to record again. Hit the Record. I'll select the area. And real quickly I just want to show you that now I have adjusted this. So if I click on the video, it's telling me that my System Audio is on, but I'm now using my USBPre2 microphone. This is what I want, and I'm ready to start recording. Take some time to familiarize yourself with the audio settings. There is nothing more frustrating than getting done with a video that you nailed, only to find out that you didn't have the audio settings correct.
So, take a look at them.
- Installing and customizing Snagit
- Capturing screenshots
- Adding callouts, text, and effects to screenshot images
- Recording audio and video
- Editing video
- Sharing images and video
- Working with other TechSmith tools
- Using Snagit for handouts, classroom videos, and student feedback