Join Jason Matthews for an in-depth discussion in this video Recognizing standards and hiring out work, part of Learning Ebook Publishing.
- Every retailer has slightly different requirements…for how the cover needs to be,…but there are some common standards,…we're going to talk about them here.…Amazon accepts JPEG of TIFF file format.…In a height to width ratio they recommend a 1.6 ratio,…and so for example, a minimum of 1,000 in height…by 625 in width pixels is their minimum cover size.…Now, their maximum size,…which they actually recommend and like,…is 4,800 by 2,820 okay, that's the maximum.…
Now, what I found to work really…well is 2,400 in height by 1,600 in width,…which is the same dimension as a six by nine book.…Now that's actually a 1.5 ratio,…but I've uploaded both their maximum recommendation…and the one that I say works fine,…and I can't tell the difference,…and I doubt that you'll be able to either.…Smashwords also takes JPEG,…but you can upload a PNG file format as well.…
They recommend the same size I do,…2,400 in height by 1,600 in width.…One thing Smashwords reminds authors is not to put…a URL on the cover for advertising purposes.…
Jason also reviews crucial details such as table of contents formatting and cover design, and he shows how to upload the complete ebook package to all the major retailers: Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, and others. The final chapter of the course explains how to market your ebook, including setting up a website, finding fans on social media, and engaging with reviewers and bloggers.
- Understanding ebook retail and distribution
- Formatting ebooks for Amazon
- Formatting ebooks for other retailers
- Designing a table of contents
- Adding chapter text and images
- Designing a cover for an ebook
- Uploading ebooks to retailers
- Marketing your ebook
Skill Level Beginner
Ebook Retailer Overview
Formatting Interior Documents: Amazon
Formatting Interior Documents: Other Retailers
Cover Design Creation
Introductory thoughts4m 9s
Uploading to Retailers
Marketing and Author Platform
Next steps1m 24s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.