In this video, Keith Casey explains how the request-response flow works with middleware involved.
- [Instructor] Before we begin building…our API in any framework,…we need to understand the core piece of the process,…requests and response.…When we think about the Internet,…we primarily think of our web browsers loading pages.…While that's the most visible part,…the underlying mechanics are vital to understand.…At a high level, whenever your browser or app gets data,…it's actually making a request.…The server on the other end receives the request,…processes it, and generates a response,…then your browser receives that response,…processes it, and displays the results to you.…
At a deeper level, there's a…much more complex dance occurring.…First, your browser makes a request.…It starts with a simple URL,…but adds a number of things called headers.…These headers include information…identifying the browser configuration,…also known as a user agent.…These headers also include an accept header,…which describes what datatypes or formats it can handle.…For example, most browsers can handle image formats,…like PNG, or JPEG, but not TIF, or bitmap,…
This course begins with a simple application specification and builds it one step at a time. Each chapter includes a key concept, with examples from other public APIs, and then shows how to build it yourself with Silex. Learn about URL routing, validating input, and generating response codes and hypermedia payloads. Like any project, the first implementation may be a little messy, but don't worry. The last chapter covers refactoring and what it takes to scale and support the API going forward.
- Understanding the project goals
- Adding authentication with Silex
- Using cross-framework and authentication middleware
- Creating a read-write API in Silex
- Uploading files via an API
- Adding file security
- Creating payloads and response codes in Silex
- Scaling your API
Skill Level Beginner
PHP Date and Time Essential Trainingwith David Powers4h 31m Intermediate
PHP: Managing Persistent Sessionswith David Powers2h 41m Intermediate
1. Project Explanation and Goals
2. Authentication Options and Tradeoffs
Cross framework middleware1m 32s
3. Create a Read-Write API
4. File Uploads via API
5. Scale Your API
Next steps1m 46s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.