This video show setting up the database which will receive and provide data to our API.
- [Narrator] Now we're going to start…plugging in some components to make our first API call.…But before we can do anything in our code,…we need the database.…Since I installed PHP in my SQL via MAMP…I'm going to open phpMyAdmin and create the database.…So here we click new and we create the database.…We'll call it chatter.…We can see there are no tables found in the database.…So we'll go over to privileges…and we'll create our first user.…We'll call this chatter api.…
We'll make sure that connections from local host…are the only ones accepted,…and we'll set the password to chatter api also.…Now I'm doing this with the knowledge…this'll only ever be used for development purposes…on my local machine.…If you are putting this out to a shared environment…or launching the production,…you must have a better password.…So let's go ahead and hit Ok.…Now by default MySQL is smart enough…to realize that the chatter api user…should probably have access to the chatter database.…
So we can simply hit go here,…and now we've got access.…
This course begins with a simple application specification and builds it one step at a time. Each chapter includes a key concept, with examples from other public APIs, and then shows how to build it yourself with Slim. Learn about URL routing, validating input, and generating response codes and hypermedia payloads. Like any project, the first implementation may be a little messy but don't worry. The last chapter covers refactoring and what it takes to scale and support the API going forward.
- Understanding the project goals
- Setting up the database
- Adding authentication in Slim
- Using cross-framework and authentication middleware
- Creating a read-write API in Slim
- Uploading files via the API
- Adding file security
- Creating payloads and response codes in Slim
- Scaling your API
Skill Level Beginner
PHP Date and Time Essential Trainingwith David Powers4h 31m Intermediate
Managing PHP Persistent Sessionswith David Powers2h 41m Intermediate
1. Project Explanation and Goals
2. Authentication Options and Tradeoffs
Cross framework middleware1m 32s
3. Create a Read-Write API
4. File Uploads via API
5. Scale Your API
Next steps1m 46s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.