This video walks through the first stage of our project: getting simple data out of the database, no authorization, simple error handling, simple logging.
- [Instructor] Hello and welcome…to Routing and Middleware Basics.…In this section, we're going to look…at our first project requirements…and start sketching out the API…that will let us accomplish something useful.…Notice that I don't say,…"Let us create, read, update, and delete database objects."…While those things might be useful,…throughout this course…we're not just building CRUD over HTTP,…but something useful and valuable…to our end users or customers.…It's a subtle distinction,…that'll be more important as we get deeper…into building our API.…
So let's talk about the current phase…of our project in more detail.…Earlier, I said we are taking…a simple, Twitter-like service called Chatter,…and augmenting it with an API.…For this phase, we'll start…with the thinnest, simplest layer…that will do something useful.…In this case, we'll set up our framework…and configure a single route to retrieve messages.…Each message will have a body, a sender,…which is a user who created it,…and a datetime.…We're not even going to worry about…
This course begins with a simple application specification and builds it one step at a time. Each chapter includes a key concept, with examples from other public APIs, and then shows how to build it yourself with Slim. Learn about URL routing, validating input, and generating response codes and hypermedia payloads. Like any project, the first implementation may be a little messy but don't worry. The last chapter covers refactoring and what it takes to scale and support the API going forward.
- Understanding the project goals
- Setting up the database
- Adding authentication in Slim
- Using cross-framework and authentication middleware
- Creating a read-write API in Slim
- Uploading files via the API
- Adding file security
- Creating payloads and response codes in Slim
- Scaling your API
Skill Level Beginner
PHP Date and Time Essential Trainingwith David Powers4h 31m Intermediate
PHP: Managing Persistent Sessionswith David Powers2h 41m Intermediate
1. Project Explanation and Goals
2. Authentication Options and Tradeoffs
Cross framework middleware1m 32s
3. Create a Read-Write API
4. File Uploads via API
5. Scale Your API
Next steps1m 46s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.