In this video, Keith Casey refactors our existing routes into resource-specific approaches to make them reusable and easier to understand.
- [Teacher] Now to be blunt, we have a bit of a mess…on our hands.…Throughout this development, we've been focused on getting…things done, not being neat and tidy.…I know your own development practices are better than mine…are here, but just in case, let's show how we would…refactor our routes to make better organized structure…using a class based system.…First in our project we're going to add a controller.…In this case, we'll go to Chatter, create a new folder…called Controllers, and add a few things to it.…
First, let's go ahead and make a messages controller…since messages are what we're dealing with primarily.…So namespace Chatter\Controllers.…We'll use the \Silex\Application and we're going to need…Chatter\Models\Message.…So for class Messages, we'll leave this as a place holder…for now.…Call it messages.php.…So the point of this is we want to move some of our logic…out of index.php over to this controller.…So let's look into our application and figure out what…the easiest thing to move would be.…
We have message get, we have post messages,…
This course begins with a simple application specification and builds it one step at a time. Each chapter includes a key concept, with examples from other public APIs, and then shows how to build it yourself with Silex. Learn about URL routing, validating input, and generating response codes and hypermedia payloads. Like any project, the first implementation may be a little messy, but don't worry. The last chapter covers refactoring and what it takes to scale and support the API going forward.
- Understanding the project goals
- Adding authentication with Silex
- Using cross-framework and authentication middleware
- Creating a read-write API in Silex
- Uploading files via an API
- Adding file security
- Creating payloads and response codes in Silex
- Scaling your API
Skill Level Beginner
PHP Date and Time Essential Trainingwith David Powers4h 31m Intermediate
Managing PHP Persistent Sessionswith David Powers2h 41m Intermediate
1. Project Explanation and Goals
2. Authentication Options and Tradeoffs
Cross framework middleware1m 32s
3. Create a Read-Write API
4. File Uploads via API
5. Scale Your API
Next steps1m 46s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.