In this video, Keith Casey demonstrates the two main approaches to versioning.
- Versioning is the final thing…that we'll tackle in this course.…Hopefully it's not a problem you have to solve everyday,…but I guarantee it will come up at some point.…When we talked about this in the main course…remember that our goal is to only change the version…when we have breaking changes.…Unfortunately, Silex does not offer…a compelling approach to solve versioning.…In practice though it's relatively easy to manage.…If you haven't copied or cloned your application…to a separate URL you can duplicate,…and eventually deprecate paths with this simple approach.…
Before we had the get messages route…mapped to this particular controller.…In this case we can support version two very easily.…Say app get v2 messages.…Say messages get all.…And so now whether we use messages or v2 messages,…it should work out exactly the same…which gives us the ability to modify v2…and do advanced or more complex operations as we go.…This is a simple, reliable approach without too much work.…
This course begins with a simple application specification and builds it one step at a time. Each chapter includes a key concept, with examples from other public APIs, and then shows how to build it yourself with Silex. Learn about URL routing, validating input, and generating response codes and hypermedia payloads. Like any project, the first implementation may be a little messy, but don't worry. The last chapter covers refactoring and what it takes to scale and support the API going forward.
- Understanding the project goals
- Adding authentication with Silex
- Using cross-framework and authentication middleware
- Creating a read-write API in Silex
- Uploading files via an API
- Adding file security
- Creating payloads and response codes in Silex
- Scaling your API
Skill Level Beginner
PHP Date and Time Essential Trainingwith David Powers4h 31m Intermediate
PHP: Managing Persistent Sessionswith David Powers2h 41m Intermediate
1. Project Explanation and Goals
2. Authentication Options and Tradeoffs
Cross framework middleware1m 32s
3. Create a Read-Write API
4. File Uploads via API
5. Scale Your API
Next steps1m 46s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.