In this video, Keith Casey dives into file handling, including the security risks of accepting, storing, and displaying files.
- [Instructor] In this chapter…we're going to take the Chatter API another step…by allowing file uploads.…Remember, this is a Twitter link service…so sending and displaying pictures is an important step.…Further, it's uncommon…but there are a number of security vulnerabilities…that come along with image processing display.…So if we're going to handle and process files…we need to make sure we do it properly.…But first, let's design our interface.…Just like in the Read/Write chapter…we need to think back to the routes we need.…
Since we're still creating a message…it looks like our POST/messages route will still work.…That's good news but we need to make one change.…Last time we are only accepting form fields…and a single one at that.…This time we need to modify the API to also accept an image.…At first glance it looks like we'll have to…rethink our routing to support POST/messages…with or without a file.…Luckily, it's much easier than that…because incoming files are retrieved…by a single function and treated as an array like always.…
This course begins with a simple application specification and builds it one step at a time. Each chapter includes a key concept, with examples from other public APIs, and then shows how to build it yourself with Silex. Learn about URL routing, validating input, and generating response codes and hypermedia payloads. Like any project, the first implementation may be a little messy, but don't worry. The last chapter covers refactoring and what it takes to scale and support the API going forward.
- Understanding the project goals
- Adding authentication with Silex
- Using cross-framework and authentication middleware
- Creating a read-write API in Silex
- Uploading files via an API
- Adding file security
- Creating payloads and response codes in Silex
- Scaling your API
Skill Level Beginner
PHP Date and Time Essential Trainingwith David Powers4h 31m Intermediate
PHP: Managing Persistent Sessionswith David Powers2h 41m Intermediate
1. Project Explanation and Goals
2. Authentication Options and Tradeoffs
Cross framework middleware1m 32s
3. Create a Read-Write API
4. File Uploads via API
5. Scale Your API
Next steps1m 46s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.