In this video, Keith Casey demonstrates how to design what the JSON payload output will look like for API users.
- [Narrator] So far in building our API,…we've been using pretty simple data structures.…While that works, we're missing out…on a big opportunity: hypermedia.…Hypermedia is the concept that the API is self-describing…in that the API itself describes how…to interact with it or use it.…It can give you URLs, how to interact with those URLs,…and even how to put those URLs together…in particular patterns to accomplish business workflows.…This sounds bizarre, but if you think of it as a recipe,…a recipe tells you what ingredients you need, or parameters,…how to combine those ingredients, make API calls,…and how to get the results, processing,…to accomplish your overall goal.…
The difference is that instead of checking documentation,…the API can give you these steps.…Now, this doesn't remove the need for documentation.…In fact, in some ways, documentation becomes…even more important because it's part…of the API product itself.…Your users will be even more dependent…on complete and accurate documentation.…There are a variety of hypermedia formats…
This course begins with a simple application specification and builds it one step at a time. Each chapter includes a key concept, with examples from other public APIs, and then shows how to build it yourself with Silex. Learn about URL routing, validating input, and generating response codes and hypermedia payloads. Like any project, the first implementation may be a little messy, but don't worry. The last chapter covers refactoring and what it takes to scale and support the API going forward.
- Understanding the project goals
- Adding authentication with Silex
- Using cross-framework and authentication middleware
- Creating a read-write API in Silex
- Uploading files via an API
- Adding file security
- Creating payloads and response codes in Silex
- Scaling your API
Skill Level Beginner
PHP Date and Time Essential Trainingwith David Powers4h 31m Intermediate
PHP: Managing Persistent Sessionswith David Powers2h 41m Intermediate
1. Project Explanation and Goals
2. Authentication Options and Tradeoffs
Cross framework middleware1m 32s
3. Create a Read-Write API
4. File Uploads via API
5. Scale Your API
Next steps1m 46s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.