Join Gini von Courter for an in-depth discussion in this video Join or leave a channel, part of Learning Slack.
- [Gini] Channels allow us to focus…and filter our messaging.…Each Slack workspace starts with two channels:…General and Random,…and we can rename either, or both of these channels.…It's not unusual for General to be renamed Announcements,…or News, or All Staff, or Company Wide…because every member of the workspace…is a member of both of these channels,…but the one that's reserved for work…sometimes deserves a name more specific than General.…You can also create Private channels…if a topic or a team requires privacy.…
Finally, there is a third type of channel…that is currently in beta.…A Shared channel is a channel…that connects your Slack workspace…with a Slack workspace at another company,…so they're used for external communication…and for collaboration with people…who are not in your organization.…Perhaps, a partner organization, vendors,…a customer focus group, are just a few of the types…of Shared channels that Slack imagines we will create.…
A Public channel's name is preceded by the hash sign,…so anyone can join a channel that has a hash sign.…
AuthorGini von Courter
- Identify how to login to Slack workspaces.
- Distinguish different types of Slack channels.
- Describe methods of setting your status.
- Explain uses of different types of channels and Slack communications.
- Choose the best way to communicate across the company.
- Describe where communications are stored in Slack.
- Explain the relationship between messaging and channels.
- Compare and contrast storage methods in Slack and storage apps.
- Identify workspace creation and configuration tasks.
Skill Level Beginner
1. Get Started with Slack
2. Work with Messages
3. Work with Channels
4. More Communications
5. Add Apps to Slack
6. Search and Set Preferences
7. Create a New Workspace
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.