- With Skype for Business, you have three different ways that you can have conversations with one or a small group of colleagues. We have audio conversation, whether that's by regular phone system or internet telephony, you have video conversations, and then you have instant messaging. Instant messaging seems like an inferior way of having a conversation, but there are times that instant messaging is exactly the right tool because it's less intrusive. If you're trying to get in touch with a colleague who's in a meeting or who's having a conversation with a client or with a vendor, it's far better for you to pop on their screen or on their phone with a request for a conversation that's a chat, rather than a video image or the phone ringing.
So, we're going to see how we can use instant messaging, and it's very easy. I want to get in touch with one of my colleagues, Jo Blickman, and I just want to know if she's available. Notice that her presence information says that she is, and when I point to her I can say Send an IM to jblickman, I could also right-click and choose Send an IM from the pop-up menu. But I am simply going to point to Jo, and click on the icon for instant messaging, and I'm going to say, "Hey Jo - ..." "do you have a few minutes to...
"talk about... "the Solar System Cost and Payback Calc app?" And notice that we see that the message has been delivered, when it was delivered. Jo is responding to me at this point. "Absolutely! Great timing!" And that's wonderful, so I'm going to say, "I'll... "call you in a few seconds." And that's all the more difficult it is to use instant messaging. Now, if I wanted to add somebody else to this conversation, at this point, if I said, "Well, why don't we see "if Jason's available, too," I might want to as Jo about that first.
"Do you mind if I add Jason?" Oh, good, alright, so Jo has some questions, maybe questions for Jason. Notice that it's always helpful to see that Jo is actually typing at the same time I am, so I might think those would be for me. And if I wanted to add somebody else to this conversation, I simply click the Invite More People icon, and I want to go get... Jason Hemlock, but Jason is offline so that lets me know that I won't be able to get in touch with him, anyway, so I'm just going to cancel this.
I'm going to say, "Jason's not available but we can... "capture the questions we have for him "during our call." Perfect, our next step then is a phone call. Let me show you that in the next movie.
- Making and accepting calls
- Using instant messaging
- Adding video to a conversation
- Creating groups of contacts
- Setting privacy relationships
- Scheduling meetings
- Taking meeting notes
- Using the presenter tools
- Using the Lync mobile app for Skype for Business
- Setting content, messaging, and other options