Layers are a popular way to organize scenes in SketchUp. In this video, George shows you how to create layers of objects in SketchUp’s Layers window. These layers are then turned on and off to make sets of objects visible. George then shows how to move objects between layers and how to create now geometry in a specified layer.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- [Instructor] Another way to organize your scene…is to use layers.…Layers allow you to have named groups of objects…that can be shown or hidden at will.…Now Layers is its own separate window,…so on the Mac you would go into Window…and find Layers.…But here on the PC we will actually go into our Tray.…Now the window is the same for both.…Now the Layers window is pretty straightforward.…We have a number of layers in the scene…and each one of these can be made Visible or not.…
So if I were to say click off the Yard…all of that object would go away,…or turn off the Roof layer,…or we can turn off the Plants.…Now when I get down to the House and I try to hide it…I'm going to get an error message.…And that's because you can not hide the current layer.…Now the current layer is determined…by whatever one of these radio buttons is pressed.…So as I press them notice how it also reveals these layers.…
Now the active layer also has a function…in creating new geometry.…So whatever layer is selected…the new geometry will be contained within that layer.…
Note: The core features of SketchUp Make, the free version of SketchUp covered in this course, and SketchUp Pro, the paid version of the program, are identical. Users of both versions should be able to follow along with the training.
- Creating new camera views
- Configuring custom toolbars on Mac and Windows
- Selecting and moving objects
- Drawing lines and shapes
- Creating 3D text in SketchUp
- Measuring and labeling objects
- Working with components
- Creating and applying materials on Mac and Windows
- Animating and rendering your drawings
Skill Level Appropriate for all
SketchUp 2016 Essential Trainingwith George Maestri3h 12m Appropriate for all
SketchUp for Architecture: LayOutwith Paul J. Smith6h 17m Intermediate
SketchUp Pro: Tools and Techniqueswith George Maestri3h 1m Intermediate
SketchUp for Architecture: Fundamentalswith Paul J. Smith4h 49m Intermediate
1. The SketchUp Interface
2. Manipulate Objects
3. Draw in SketchUp
4. Measure and Label
5. Stay Organized
6. Work with Components
7. Materials and Textures: Windows
8. Materials and Textures: Mac
9. Rendering and Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.