Join George Maestri for an in-depth discussion in this video Work with layers, part of SketchUp 2016 Essential Training.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- Another way to organize your scene is by using layers.…Layers allow you to have named groups of objects…that can be shown or hidden at will.…Layers is its own separate window.…I have my Layer Editor here on the tray.…Mac users will have to open a separate window.…In this Layers window here,…we have a number of options here.…We have the ability to create…or delete layers,…and then down here we have a list…of the layers in the scene.…
I have Layer 0, which is my default layer.…I also have a layer for the trailer, the plants,…the fence, and the stairs.…Any one of these can be hidden or shown.…When I get to the one that's highlighted here,…which in this case in the trailer,…I will get an error message.…That's because I can't hide the current layer.…So if I wanted to hide the trailer, I would need to…select a different layer and then hide the trailer.…
This active layer is important because when you create…new objects they will go into the highlighted layer.…In this case, I have the trailer layer highlighted.…If I were to draw an object such…
These tutorials work with both SketchUp Make, the free version of the program, and SketchUp Pro.
- Navigating SketchUp
- Creating camera views
- Configuring the toolbars on Mac and Windows
- Selecting, moving, and scaling objects
- Using the line tools for 3D drawing
- Creating rectangles, outlines, circles, and freehand shapes
- Creating 3D text
- Using the measurement and labeling tools
- Organizing drawings with groups and layers
- Creating components and using components from the 3D Warehouse
- Creating and applying materials
- Working with textures
- Rendering and animating drawings
Skill Level Appropriate for all
SketchUp Pro: Tools and Techniqueswith George Maestri3h 1m Intermediate
SketchUp for Architecture: Fundamentalswith Paul J. Smith4h 49m Intermediate
SketchUp for Architecture: LayOutwith Paul J. Smith6h 17m Intermediate
1. The SketchUp Interface
2. Manipulate Objects
3. Drawing in SketchUp
4. Measure and Label
5. Stay Organized
6. Work with Components
7. Work with Materials
8. Materials on the Mac
9. Work with Textures
10. Rendering and Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.