Join Scott Onstott for an in-depth discussion in this video What you should know before watching this course, part of Designing a Tiny House with SketchUp.
- Tiny houses are gaining in popularity partly because they are far more affordable than traditional houses, but also because living in a tiny space forces you to simplify your life. I chose to model a tiny house because it's a fantastic design challenge. In a tiny house, every inch counts and the efficient use of space becomes especially important. This course is intended to teach you how to model in SketchUp. The tiny house model in the course is not necessarily buildable or code-compliant, and the design is therefore not intended for actual construction. As always, the responsibility to follow any applicable codes or regulations is yours.
Hopefully this project will be an inspiration to you to design your own tiny house.
In this course, author Scott Onstott shows step-by-step how to build a tiny house, including every virtual stud, sheet of plywood, and appliance going into the project. Along the way, he explores SketchUp features such as components, groups, layers, and textures. By building a house in SketchUp in this detailed manner, you can work out any unforeseen spatial conflicts in the design and virtually eliminate construction problems before you are in the field.
- Importing the house plan
- Framing the structure
- Laying studs and framing walls
- Adding plywood sheathing
- Paneling the roof
- Adding trim, windows, and siding
- Adding interior plywood
- Modeling windows and frames
- Designing the bed, cabinets, counters, and shower
- Adding furniture
- Modeling the trailer
- Animating the tiny house design
Skill Level Intermediate
SketchUp 2015 Essential Trainingwith George Maestri2h 54m Appropriate for all
SketchUp for Architecture: LayOutwith Paul J. Smith6h 17m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Framing the Structure
3. Sheathing the Exterior
4. Applying Exterior Trim, Windows, and Siding
5. Working on the Interior
6. Designing the Slide Out
7. Integrating Built-in Features
8. Adding Furniture
9. Modeling the Trailer and Animating the Tiny House
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.