The Tape Measure tool in SketchUp allows you to measure and align objects in the 3D scene. In this video, George shows how to use the Tape Measure tool to determine the size of various objects in a scene. He then shows how to use the Tape Measure tool to create guidelines that can be used as drawing aids.
- [Instructor] When we draw in Sketchup,…there are many times when we will need to be very precise…and will have to measure things,…and for that we can use the Tape Measure Tool.…The Tape Measure Tool can be found…under Tools, Tape Measure.…The hot key is the letter T,…and we also have it here as this icon in the interface.…When I select the tool,…it comes up and all I really have to do…is click and drag to measure something.…So if I wanted to measure the width of this building,…I can snap to that corner, left click, move my mouse,…snap again, and then left click,…and it will tell me the length is 36 feet.…
If I wanted to measure the height of the building,…you can again select the Tape Measure Tool,…go to that endpoint,…and go up to there and we can see that…it's 11 feet two inches.…And if we wanted to measure say the width of this,…again we can measure that,…and that's 40 feet one and a half inches.…Now the Tape Measure Tool can also be used…to create guidelines that we can use for drawing.…So let's take a look at this patio.…
- Navigating the interface for Mac and Windows
- Configuring toolbars and tray windows
- Selecting and moving objects
- Drawing lines and shapes
- Creating 3D text
- Measuring and labeling objects
- Using organizational tools
- Working with components
- Creating and applying materials
- Animating and rendering your drawings
Skill Level Beginner
1. The SketchUp Interface
2. Manipulate Objects
3. Draw in SketchUp
4. Measure and Label
5. Stay Organized
6. Work with Components
7. Materials and Textures in Windows
8. Materials and Textures on the Mac
9. Rendering and Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.