The Rectangle tool is one of the most used tools in SketchUp. This video covers the rectangle tool and how to use it to create 3D objects. George shows the basics of the tool and draws rectangles, and then uses the measurements box to type in precise dimensions. Additional rectangles are drawn in 3D to create a full 3D object.
- [Instructor] In addition to the Line tool,…we can also draw shapes in SketchUp.…Now we can find these under the Draw menu.…We have Lines, Arcs, and Shapes.…So under Shapes we have Rectangle, Rotated Rectangle,…Circle, and Polygon.…Now we're going to focus only on the Rectangle tool right now.…And the hotkey for that is R.…Now we can also find this on the toolbar right here…and if we pull this down you'll see we have Rectangle,…Rotated Rectangle, Circle, and Polygon.…
Now again, we're going to focus on the Rectangle tool.…So I'm going to go ahead and select that,…and notice how the cursor changes to the Line tool,…but it also has a little rectangle underneath it,…and that tells us we're drawing rectangles.…So once I have this tool active…all I have to do is just left-click and drag…and I can start dragging out a rectangle.…Now there's two types of inferences that occur with this.…If you notice if we get it right about here…you notice this dotted line comes up…and it tells us that this particular rectangle is Square,…
Note: The core features of SketchUp Make, the free version of SketchUp covered in this course, and SketchUp Pro, the paid version of the program, are identical. Users of both versions should be able to follow along with the training.
- Creating new camera views
- Configuring custom toolbars on Mac and Windows
- Selecting and moving objects
- Drawing lines and shapes
- Creating 3D text in SketchUp
- Measuring and labeling objects
- Working with components
- Creating and applying materials on Mac and Windows
- Animating and rendering your drawings
Skill Level Appropriate for all
1. The SketchUp Interface
2. Manipulate Objects
3. Draw in SketchUp
4. Measure and Label
5. Stay Organized
6. Work with Components
7. Materials and Textures: Windows
8. Materials and Textures: Mac
9. Rendering and Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.