Join George Maestri for an in-depth discussion in this video Use the Rectangle tool, part of SketchUp 2016 Essential Training.
- In addition to lines, SketchUp also allows us…to draw shapes.…Now, these can be rectangles, they can be circles,…or they can be polygons.…Now, we can find these under the Draw menu, under Shapes.…So we have Rectangle,…Rotated Rectangle, Circle and Polygon.…We're just going to focus on Rectangle.…If you click here, you see that we have…the exact same options we had in our menu.…So I'm going to select Rectangle.…And notice how the icon is the same…as the line tool,…but with a little rectangle on it.…
And that just tells us we're drawing rectangles.…The rectangle tool is very easy to use.…All you have to do is left-click and drag.…So I'm going to go ahead and left-click,…drag,…and we can snap to one of two main shapes here.…So if I go here, you'll see that it's telling me…that this is square.…Or, if I go down here,…you can see here that this is…what's called a Golden Section,…which is the classic eight to five ratio.…
Now, I can also drag it…to whatever size I want.…And also notice how, in the bottom right-hand corner,…
These tutorials work with both SketchUp Make, the free version of the program, and SketchUp Pro.
- Navigating SketchUp
- Creating camera views
- Configuring the toolbars on Mac and Windows
- Selecting, moving, and scaling objects
- Using the line tools for 3D drawing
- Creating rectangles, outlines, circles, and freehand shapes
- Creating 3D text
- Using the measurement and labeling tools
- Organizing drawings with groups and layers
- Creating components and using components from the 3D Warehouse
- Creating and applying materials
- Working with textures
- Rendering and animating drawings
Skill Level Appropriate for all
SketchUp Pro: Tools and Techniqueswith George Maestri3h 1m Intermediate
SketchUp for Architecture: Fundamentalswith Paul J. Smith4h 49m Intermediate
SketchUp for Architecture: LayOutwith Paul J. Smith6h 17m Intermediate
1. The SketchUp Interface
2. Manipulate Objects
3. Drawing in SketchUp
4. Measure and Label
5. Stay Organized
6. Work with Components
7. Work with Materials
8. Materials on the Mac
9. Work with Textures
10. Rendering and Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.