Join George Maestri for an in-depth discussion in this video Use the Offset tool to create outlines, part of SketchUp 2016 Essential Training.
- Another way to add detail to models…is to use the Offset tool.…Now this basically offsets the shape…of a face to create an inset…or something like that.…So let's take a look at this little simple house.…Now you can see that we have this house…with the basis of a door and a window,…but in order to make these a little bit more realistic…we need to add frames.…So we need a door frame and a window frame.…So let's start with the window.…Now this window's a little bit,…so let's go ahead and cut it in half.…
I'm going to go to my Line tool,…and I'm going to snap to mid point here,…and draw straight down and create two of these shapes…that are almost square.…Now if I want to create a window frame…for each of these…I could potentially draw…a rectangle on the inside,…but I don't know if that rectangle is exactly spaced…all the way around.…So I'm going to undo this…and we're going to use the Offset tool…to actually create this.…
So we can find this in one of two places.…We can find it here on the toolbar,…the Offset tool,…or under Tools we have Offset.…
These tutorials work with both SketchUp Make, the free version of the program, and SketchUp Pro.
- Navigating SketchUp
- Creating camera views
- Configuring the toolbars on Mac and Windows
- Selecting, moving, and scaling objects
- Using the line tools for 3D drawing
- Creating rectangles, outlines, circles, and freehand shapes
- Creating 3D text
- Using the measurement and labeling tools
- Organizing drawings with groups and layers
- Creating components and using components from the 3D Warehouse
- Creating and applying materials
- Working with textures
- Rendering and animating drawings
Skill Level Appropriate for all
SketchUp Pro: Tools and Techniqueswith George Maestri3h 1m Intermediate
SketchUp for Architecture: LayOutwith Paul J. Smith6h 17m Intermediate
1. The SketchUp Interface
2. Manipulate Objects
3. Drawing in SketchUp
4. Measure and Label
5. Stay Organized
6. Work with Components
7. Work with Materials
8. Materials on the Mac
9. Work with Textures
10. Rendering and Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.