Join George Maestri for an in-depth discussion in this video Use the Follow Me tool, part of SketchUp 2016 Essential Training.
- One more way to create geometry…is with the Follow Me tool.…I like to think of it as Push Pull…with a path.…So you can actually pull a shape…along a predefined path.…So let's use this to create some railings…for the stairs in this scene.…So here I have a staircase…and I've already drawn the shapes for this railing.…And you can see it's a straight line…connected to an arc,…and another straight line connected to an arc,…so basically I've got a couple of straight lines…and a couple of arcs…and I've snapped them to each other's end points.…
So we can create the railing…by drawing an outline…and following it along this path.…So I'm going to start with a Circle.…I'm going to go down here…and I'm going to snap to that end point here…and just drag out a circle…with the Radius of 1 inch,…and I'm going to type that in.…Now I'm going to go into Tools,…Follow Me,…and I'm going to highlight that face,…left click and drag,…and it should follow all the way around.…
Well, let me do that one more time.…Sometimes it's a little tricky here.…
These tutorials work with both SketchUp Make, the free version of the program, and SketchUp Pro.
- Navigating SketchUp
- Creating camera views
- Configuring the toolbars on Mac and Windows
- Selecting, moving, and scaling objects
- Using the line tools for 3D drawing
- Creating rectangles, outlines, circles, and freehand shapes
- Creating 3D text
- Using the measurement and labeling tools
- Organizing drawings with groups and layers
- Creating components and using components from the 3D Warehouse
- Creating and applying materials
- Working with textures
- Rendering and animating drawings
Skill Level Appropriate for all
SketchUp Pro: Tools and Techniqueswith George Maestri3h 1m Intermediate
SketchUp for Architecture: LayOutwith Paul J. Smith6h 17m Intermediate
1. The SketchUp Interface
2. Manipulate Objects
3. Drawing in SketchUp
4. Measure and Label
5. Stay Organized
6. Work with Components
7. Work with Materials
8. Materials on the Mac
9. Work with Textures
10. Rendering and Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.