Join Scott Onstott for an in-depth discussion in this video Insulating and sheathing the roof, part of Designing a Tiny House with SketchUp.
- Our next job is to build the ceiling…and the insulation that goes in the roof.…So let's go ahead and zoom in over here.…Press L, and if you look closely,…you'll see that there's a tiny mismatch…here between the height of the plywood and the rafter.…We could correct that, but I'm inclined just to…gloss over it and continue.…There could be little imperfections like this in your model.…And you can decide how much attention…to detail you want to give it.…I'm going to just start here at this…Intersection in Component and draw in a sketch…that represents the outline of this cavity.…
We're gonna be covering this up ultimately anyway,…so it should be OK.…Then go down here and snap it…just above that point right there.…And I'm gonna come over here, snap it there,…and go all the way over here…back to the point where I started.…To save time, it would be easier to…fill in the insulation in each cavity…if we just copy this one.…I'm gonna copy it from some arbitrary point along the edge,…and I'm going to hold down the Shift key…
In this course, author Scott Onstott shows step-by-step how to build a tiny house, including every virtual stud, sheet of plywood, and appliance going into the project. Along the way, he explores SketchUp features such as components, groups, layers, and textures. By building a house in SketchUp in this detailed manner, you can work out any unforeseen spatial conflicts in the design and virtually eliminate construction problems before you are in the field.
- Importing the house plan
- Framing the structure
- Laying studs and framing walls
- Adding plywood sheathing
- Paneling the roof
- Adding trim, windows, and siding
- Adding interior plywood
- Modeling windows and frames
- Designing the bed, cabinets, counters, and shower
- Adding furniture
- Modeling the trailer
- Animating the tiny house design
Skill Level Intermediate
SketchUp 2015 Essential Trainingwith George Maestri2h 54m Appropriate for all
SketchUp for Architecture: LayOutwith Paul J. Smith6h 17m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Framing the Structure
3. Sheathing the Exterior
4. Applying Exterior Trim, Windows, and Siding
5. Working on the Interior
6. Designing the Slide Out
7. Integrating Built-in Features
8. Adding Furniture
9. Modeling the Trailer and Animating the Tiny House
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.