Join Scott Onstott for an in-depth discussion in this video Trimming out four windows and the door, part of Designing a Tiny House with SketchUp.
- Ok let's focus on building trim…for these three clerestory windows.…They're all the same, so we really just need to build one,…and then we'll copy it over.…So, start by drawing a rectangle in the rough opening.…Press "o" for offset, click on the edge, and wait a minute,…undo, I was a little hasty there.…You have to very carefully click without moving the mouse,…and then you can move the mouse.…And then type "1/2".…Press the spacebar, select the inner face,…and then press delete.…
Press "p" and pull this back.…You'll need to orbit under and over inside,…and snap right there on the face of the beam on the inside.…So now we've boxed in that window,…and I think it would look better…if we put some trim on the outside as well.…So, let's press "o", offset this outward "1" inch.…And then press "p" and pull it out "1/2" an inch.…I actually pulled the inner part out.…
I want to also pull this out.…And then, I'm going to delete these four lines.…Triple-click, right-click, and choose "Make Component".…Call this "Clerestory Trim"; enter.…
In this course, author Scott Onstott shows step-by-step how to build a tiny house, including every virtual stud, sheet of plywood, and appliance going into the project. Along the way, he explores SketchUp features such as components, groups, layers, and textures. By building a house in SketchUp in this detailed manner, you can work out any unforeseen spatial conflicts in the design and virtually eliminate construction problems before you are in the field.
- Importing the house plan
- Framing the structure
- Laying studs and framing walls
- Adding plywood sheathing
- Paneling the roof
- Adding trim, windows, and siding
- Adding interior plywood
- Modeling windows and frames
- Designing the bed, cabinets, counters, and shower
- Adding furniture
- Modeling the trailer
- Animating the tiny house design
Skill Level Intermediate
SketchUp 2015 Essential Trainingwith George Maestri2h 54m Appropriate for all
SketchUp for Architecture: Fundamentalswith Paul J. Smith4h 49m Intermediate
SketchUp for Architecture: LayOutwith Paul J. Smith6h 17m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Framing the Structure
3. Sheathing the Exterior
4. Applying Exterior Trim, Windows, and Siding
5. Working on the Interior
6. Designing the Slide Out
7. Integrating Built-in Features
8. Adding Furniture
9. Modeling the Trailer and Animating the Tiny House
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.