Join Scott Onstott for an in-depth discussion in this video Trim the roof with custom profiles, part of Designing a Tiny House with SketchUp.
- We now need to trim out the roof, here,…on this edge and this edge.…Let's start on the upper edge, and zoom in over here…where you can see how that comes together.…We have a bit of an awkward situation here…with the plywood coming together at a non-right angle.…We're going to cover all that up with the trim.…So, let's design a piece of trim that will cover that.…Start sketching in a line.…From this intersection point,…go over down along the edge and back down again,…over, and then we'll just make a jog there to connect it.…
Press "p" and pull it out.…We want to go all the way across,…and we need something to snap to.…There we go.…Now triple-click, press "g" and then "b"…and click on the object.…That looks good.…Now we need another piece of trim over here,…but this has the added complication…that any rain water is going to be flowing down here.…It's going to need to flow over the edge,…and not get hung up.…
So, we're going to design that piece of trim…in a slightly different way.…I'll start drawing trim here,…and I'm going to go up just a half an inch,…
In this course, author Scott Onstott shows step-by-step how to build a tiny house, including every virtual stud, sheet of plywood, and appliance going into the project. Along the way, he explores SketchUp features such as components, groups, layers, and textures. By building a house in SketchUp in this detailed manner, you can work out any unforeseen spatial conflicts in the design and virtually eliminate construction problems before you are in the field.
- Importing the house plan
- Framing the structure
- Laying studs and framing walls
- Adding plywood sheathing
- Paneling the roof
- Adding trim, windows, and siding
- Adding interior plywood
- Modeling windows and frames
- Designing the bed, cabinets, counters, and shower
- Adding furniture
- Modeling the trailer
- Animating the tiny house design
Skill Level Intermediate
SketchUp 2015 Essential Trainingwith George Maestri2h 54m Appropriate for all
SketchUp for Architecture: Fundamentalswith Paul J. Smith4h 49m Intermediate
SketchUp for Architecture: LayOutwith Paul J. Smith6h 17m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Framing the Structure
3. Sheathing the Exterior
4. Applying Exterior Trim, Windows, and Siding
5. Working on the Interior
6. Designing the Slide Out
7. Integrating Built-in Features
8. Adding Furniture
9. Modeling the Trailer and Animating the Tiny House
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.