Join Scott Onstott for an in-depth discussion in this video Spacing studs and adding insulation, part of Designing a Tiny House with SketchUp.
- Now I'd like to work on the opposite wall,…that is the wall that has the slideout in it.…To do this we need to reverse the section plane.…Go to the Window menu and open the Styles window.…Toggle on the Section Plane…and you might wonder, where is it?…How come it doesn't display?…And the answer is it's on a layer that's off,…so turn on these layers…and you'll see that the section plane…is actually on this Exterior Siding layer…because we were working on that layer when we made it.…So that's not a good practice,…let's move this section layer to Layer zero…which we'll always leave on…and that way we will never misplace it again.…
So let's go up to the Window menu to Entity Info…and change this to Layer zero.…Now right click on the section plane…and choose Reverse from this shortcut menu.…It now displays the other side…so I can orbit around.…And because the roof is sloping down…it's hard to see in there all the way.…So I think I'll move this section plane over…so it's much closer to the wall,…and then toggle it back off, close the Styles.…
In this course, author Scott Onstott shows step-by-step how to build a tiny house, including every virtual stud, sheet of plywood, and appliance going into the project. Along the way, he explores SketchUp features such as components, groups, layers, and textures. By building a house in SketchUp in this detailed manner, you can work out any unforeseen spatial conflicts in the design and virtually eliminate construction problems before you are in the field.
- Importing the house plan
- Framing the structure
- Laying studs and framing walls
- Adding plywood sheathing
- Paneling the roof
- Adding trim, windows, and siding
- Adding interior plywood
- Modeling windows and frames
- Designing the bed, cabinets, counters, and shower
- Adding furniture
- Modeling the trailer
- Animating the tiny house design
Skill Level Intermediate
SketchUp 2015 Essential Trainingwith George Maestri2h 54m Appropriate for all
SketchUp for Architecture: LayOutwith Paul J. Smith6h 17m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Framing the Structure
3. Sheathing the Exterior
4. Applying Exterior Trim, Windows, and Siding
5. Working on the Interior
6. Designing the Slide Out
7. Integrating Built-in Features
8. Adding Furniture
9. Modeling the Trailer and Animating the Tiny House
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.