Join George Maestri for an in-depth discussion in this video Soften and smooth edges, part of SketchUp 2016 Essential Training.
- Now the big difference between a circle…and a polygon is how SketchUp treats the edges.…So let's draw one of each and take a look…at how those differences work.…So I'm going to go here to my toolbar…and we're going to draw a Circle.…Now before I do anything I'm going to type in the number 12…and hit enter to create a circle…with 12 sides.…So I'm going to go ahead and left click and drag…and let's drag something out that's 3 feet in Radius.…
And now because I've reduced the number of sides…you can see them fairly easily.…Now let' go ahead and draw a 12 sided polygon.…So I'm going to go ahead and select the Polygon tool,…and again, I'm going to type in the number 12…and hit enter to set the number of sides to 12.…And again, left click and drag…and let's type in 3 feet.…Now we've created two shapes…and they both look very similar.…
They both have 12 sides,…they both have the same radius,…but when we pull these up into geometry…notice the difference.…So I'm going to go ahead and select the one…that was the circle first.…
These tutorials work with both SketchUp Make, the free version of the program, and SketchUp Pro.
- Navigating SketchUp
- Creating camera views
- Configuring the toolbars on Mac and Windows
- Selecting, moving, and scaling objects
- Using the line tools for 3D drawing
- Creating rectangles, outlines, circles, and freehand shapes
- Creating 3D text
- Using the measurement and labeling tools
- Organizing drawings with groups and layers
- Creating components and using components from the 3D Warehouse
- Creating and applying materials
- Working with textures
- Rendering and animating drawings
Skill Level Appropriate for all
SketchUp Pro: Tools and Techniqueswith George Maestri3h 1m Intermediate
SketchUp for Architecture: LayOutwith Paul J. Smith6h 17m Intermediate
1. The SketchUp Interface
2. Manipulate Objects
3. Drawing in SketchUp
4. Measure and Label
5. Stay Organized
6. Work with Components
7. Work with Materials
8. Materials on the Mac
9. Work with Textures
10. Rendering and Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.