Learn about how to control and smooth edges in SketchUp to create seamless objects. In this video, George shows how to create smoothed objects, and then discusses the topic of hidden geometry. George then shows how to hide and show edges to turn smoothing on and off for specific parts of a 3D object.
- [Instructor] Now let's dive a little bit deeper…into the differences between polygons and circles…by showing you how to soften and smooth edges.…I'm going to start off by drawing a circle,…so I'm going to select my Circle tool,…and in the number of sides I'm going to type 12,…so we want to make a 12-sided circle,…and I'm going to drag that out to a couple of feet here.…And then let's go ahead and pull this up…to create a cylinder, so I'm going to use…my push/pool tool and pull that up.…So now I have a cylinder.…
Let's go ahead and do the same thing…with a polygon.…So I'm going to select my Polygon tool.…Again for the number of sides I'm going to type in 12.…We're going to create something that's about the same size,…and then again pull that up into a shape.…Now these are almost identical.…You can see that from the top we have 12 sides…very clearly on both of them,…but when we view them from the side,…you'll see that we have a slightly different situation.…If I click on the side of the cylinder,…you'll see I have one face that wraps…
- Navigating the interface for Mac and Windows
- Configuring toolbars and tray windows
- Selecting and moving objects
- Drawing lines and shapes
- Creating 3D text
- Measuring and labeling objects
- Using organizational tools
- Working with components
- Creating and applying materials
- Animating and rendering your drawings
Skill Level Beginner
1. The SketchUp Interface
2. Manipulate Objects
3. Draw in SketchUp
4. Measure and Label
5. Stay Organized
6. Work with Components
7. Materials and Textures in Windows
8. Materials and Textures on the Mac
9. Rendering and Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.