Join Scott Onstott for an in-depth discussion in this video Simulating a tambour door, part of Designing a Tiny House with SketchUp.
- In this video, we're going to build a cabinet…which goes on top of the platform,…as well as the tambour door.…Let's go into the CAD drawing.…To get there, I'm going to select the…sub-floor and hide it.…Then I'll double click on the CAD information…and press "n" to hide everything else.…I'm going to make a enclosing window…around all of this information by dragging…from the upper left to the lower right,…and I'll press cmd + c to copy…that information to the clipboard,…then click outside the group to close it.…
Press "v" to paste that in place.…Press "g" to make a group out of it,…and then move it up in the blue direction…18 inches.…Press "u" to unhide everything,…and you can see that this information…is now on the top surface of the platform.…I'm going to double click to go inside there…and we can erase some of this stray information here.…Let's go over here.…We don't need this information.…I'm just going to kind of tidy it up a little bit.…
I'm getting rid of some of this stuff.…So the idea here is that we have this door…
In this course, author Scott Onstott shows step-by-step how to build a tiny house, including every virtual stud, sheet of plywood, and appliance going into the project. Along the way, he explores SketchUp features such as components, groups, layers, and textures. By building a house in SketchUp in this detailed manner, you can work out any unforeseen spatial conflicts in the design and virtually eliminate construction problems before you are in the field.
- Importing the house plan
- Framing the structure
- Laying studs and framing walls
- Adding plywood sheathing
- Paneling the roof
- Adding trim, windows, and siding
- Adding interior plywood
- Modeling windows and frames
- Designing the bed, cabinets, counters, and shower
- Adding furniture
- Modeling the trailer
- Animating the tiny house design
Skill Level Intermediate
SketchUp 2015 Essential Trainingwith George Maestri2h 54m Appropriate for all
SketchUp for Architecture: Fundamentalswith Paul J. Smith4h 49m Intermediate
SketchUp for Architecture: LayOutwith Paul J. Smith6h 17m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Framing the Structure
3. Sheathing the Exterior
4. Applying Exterior Trim, Windows, and Siding
5. Working on the Interior
6. Designing the Slide Out
7. Integrating Built-in Features
8. Adding Furniture
9. Modeling the Trailer and Animating the Tiny House
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.