Join Scott Onstott for an in-depth discussion in this video Sheathing the long wall, part of Designing a Tiny House with SketchUp.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- Let's continue adding exterior plywood on this side.…There's actually a window in the bathroom…and a window in front of the sink,…and we need to frame in their rough openings…before we can apply the exterior sheathing.…So let's go ahead and zoom in here…to this window in the bathroom.…Press R and draw a rectangle across here.…And then press P and pull it down to the bottom.…Triple click, press G to group,…and let's move that up three feet in the Z direction.…
That is the blue axis.…We also need to give that a color,…so I'll press B and sample the color…off of an adjacent framing element…by holding down the Command key…and clicking on it, and then click on the object.…Now I think we're on the wrong layer still,…so let's go back up here to Entity Info,…and change the layer of this object to Framing.…Then let's move it up and leave a copy behind…by pressing the Option or Alt key in Windows,…and type three feet, enter.…
Now the window in the bathroom…and the window in the kitchen…are identical windows,…so we can just copy these two elements over.…
In this course, author Scott Onstott shows step-by-step how to build a tiny house, including every virtual stud, sheet of plywood, and appliance going into the project. Along the way, he explores SketchUp features such as components, groups, layers, and textures. By building a house in SketchUp in this detailed manner, you can work out any unforeseen spatial conflicts in the design and virtually eliminate construction problems before you are in the field.
- Importing the house plan
- Framing the structure
- Laying studs and framing walls
- Adding plywood sheathing
- Paneling the roof
- Adding trim, windows, and siding
- Adding interior plywood
- Modeling windows and frames
- Designing the bed, cabinets, counters, and shower
- Adding furniture
- Modeling the trailer
- Animating the tiny house design
Skill Level Intermediate
SketchUp 2015 Essential Trainingwith George Maestri2h 54m Appropriate for all
SketchUp for Architecture: Fundamentalswith Paul J. Smith4h 49m Intermediate
SketchUp for Architecture: LayOutwith Paul J. Smith6h 17m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Framing the Structure
3. Sheathing the Exterior
4. Applying Exterior Trim, Windows, and Siding
5. Working on the Interior
6. Designing the Slide Out
7. Integrating Built-in Features
8. Adding Furniture
9. Modeling the Trailer and Animating the Tiny House
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.