Join Scott Onstott for an in-depth discussion in this video Paneling the roof, part of Designing a Tiny House with SketchUp.
- Our next job is to panel the roof.…Zoom in over here on this corner,…press L and draw a line from the outer edge of the plywood…over to the left.…Type four feet, and you'll see that this point…does not correspond with the center line of the rafter.…So we're going to have to move all the rafters over.…Let's go ahead and select each one.…Hold down the Shift key and select one at a time.…Then press G to make a group.…Draw a temporary line here from the midpoint over,…and then move the whole system of rafters over…in the green direction.…
Hold down the shift key to lock that,…and then click on the end of the line.…Then press the space bar and select these two lines…and delete them.…Now let's go ahead and sketch in the plywood…that will go on top.…Start here in the corner,…and work your way around.…You want to snap right there,…and then we want to go over in this direction…to this point right here,…and then up here,…and finally over here.…
Press P and pull the plywood up,…type in 3/4, enter,…press the space bar,…triple-click to select the entire object.…
In this course, author Scott Onstott shows step-by-step how to build a tiny house, including every virtual stud, sheet of plywood, and appliance going into the project. Along the way, he explores SketchUp features such as components, groups, layers, and textures. By building a house in SketchUp in this detailed manner, you can work out any unforeseen spatial conflicts in the design and virtually eliminate construction problems before you are in the field.
- Importing the house plan
- Framing the structure
- Laying studs and framing walls
- Adding plywood sheathing
- Paneling the roof
- Adding trim, windows, and siding
- Adding interior plywood
- Modeling windows and frames
- Designing the bed, cabinets, counters, and shower
- Adding furniture
- Modeling the trailer
- Animating the tiny house design
Skill Level Intermediate
SketchUp 2015 Essential Trainingwith George Maestri2h 54m Appropriate for all
SketchUp for Architecture: LayOutwith Paul J. Smith6h 17m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Framing the Structure
3. Sheathing the Exterior
4. Applying Exterior Trim, Windows, and Siding
5. Working on the Interior
6. Designing the Slide Out
7. Integrating Built-in Features
8. Adding Furniture
9. Modeling the Trailer and Animating the Tiny House
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.