Join Paul J. Smith for an in-depth discussion in this video Moving geometry to different layers, part of SketchUp for Architecture: Details.
- We're now in chapter 05-05, and…we're moving the geometry that we've created…in the modeling up to this point…on to some layers that I have already set up…in the chapter 05-05 drawing.…If you have access to these files, then you're good to go.…If not and you want to follow along, then just pause…the video for a second.…I'll zoom in on this layer window so you get a better view…of what's going on.…So just pause now at the layers,…and then we can carry on.…
The layers sort of correspond to…the stuff that's in the outliner,…but not every object or group is on a different layer.…For example, the above ground block…and the above ground mortar would all live kind of…together on the above ground block layer, for example.…So just be wary of that.…You don't have to create them exactly like this either.…If you have your own preferred layer naming conventions,…then by all means, use those.…This is just an example to explain the process.…
Another thing that's quite useful is to again use…this color by layer, so you know instantly…
AuthorPaul J. Smith
This installment concentrates on organizing the details in your scenes with the Outliner and Layers panels. As the course shows, well-built and organized SketchUp components allow architects to have greater flexibility at every stage of the design process.
- Creating the brick and block components
- Building walls
- Laying courses of bricks and blocks
- Trenching and backfilling
- Creating the brick halves
- Adding mortar fill and insulation to the cavity
- Creating windows with casements, sills, and jambs
- Organizing the model
- Adding materials
- Exporting the SketchUp model
- Working in LayOut
Skill Level Intermediate
SketchUp Pro Tips and Techniques (2010)with George Maestri2h 25m Intermediate
SketchUp 2013 Essential Trainingwith George Maestri2h 16m Beginner
1. Building Up to the Floor Slab
2. Completing the Wall
3. Making the Window
4. Organize the Completed Model
6. Export and LayOut
Next steps2m 10s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.