Join Scott Onstott for an in-depth discussion in this video Modeling windows and frames, part of Designing a Tiny House with SketchUp.
- The next step is to build a window…and place it inside this trimmed-out opening.…Go to the Windows Layer and set it current.…Draw a rectangle here.…Press O for offset, and offset that in one inch.…Press the space bar to select.…Click on the inner face and press delete to get rid of it.…Press P and pull this back two inches.…Press the space bar. Triple-click to select.…Press G for group.…And then move it back two inches.…
Let's also add some glazing.…So press R, make a rectangle around there.…Press B, and scroll down,…and one of these materials will have a cross line like this,…this represents a material that's not 100% opaque.…That's the glazing material that we used earlier…when we made our first two windows.…So let's assign that to this piece of glass.…Double-click,…and let's move that back one inch in the green direction.…
And let's select the frame as well,…and then group that all together.…Now I'd like to work on the ceiling inside the building.…So let's go to Styles.…Let's look at the Section Plane and rotate it.…
In this course, author Scott Onstott shows step-by-step how to build a tiny house, including every virtual stud, sheet of plywood, and appliance going into the project. Along the way, he explores SketchUp features such as components, groups, layers, and textures. By building a house in SketchUp in this detailed manner, you can work out any unforeseen spatial conflicts in the design and virtually eliminate construction problems before you are in the field.
- Importing the house plan
- Framing the structure
- Laying studs and framing walls
- Adding plywood sheathing
- Paneling the roof
- Adding trim, windows, and siding
- Adding interior plywood
- Modeling windows and frames
- Designing the bed, cabinets, counters, and shower
- Adding furniture
- Modeling the trailer
- Animating the tiny house design
Skill Level Intermediate
SketchUp 2015 Essential Trainingwith George Maestri2h 54m Appropriate for all
SketchUp for Architecture: Fundamentalswith Paul J. Smith4h 49m Intermediate
SketchUp for Architecture: LayOutwith Paul J. Smith6h 17m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Framing the Structure
3. Sheathing the Exterior
4. Applying Exterior Trim, Windows, and Siding
5. Working on the Interior
6. Designing the Slide Out
7. Integrating Built-in Features
8. Adding Furniture
9. Modeling the Trailer and Animating the Tiny House
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.