Join Scott Onstott for an in-depth discussion in this video Modeling a sofa with rounded edges, part of Designing a Tiny House with SketchUp.
- In this video, we're going to model the sofa.…To do that, we need to change the Section Plane,…so we can see the area that we're going to model.…Now, sofas are rather complicated objects…to make in SketchUp,…because they're very rounded, typically.…Let's go to the Styles window and turn on the Section Plane.…Select it, press Q for rotate,…and let's rotate the Section Plane…by dragging across the red direction…to establish the axis.…And rotate it like that,…so we're getting, essentially, a plan cut.…
Let's move it up. Turn off the Section Plane.…Close the Styles window.…And orbit around.…So the sofa's meant to go over here.…Let's turn off some of the Layers…that are kind of in the way right now,…the Slideout Layers.…And there you see the sketch of the sofa.…It's supposed to be a sofa bed,…so there's a bottom cushion,…and then there's this extra extension,…and the bottom cushion slides over.…So let's begin by going into the CAD Layer.…
I'm going to want to model that, so to save time,…I'll just use the CAD data directly.…
In this course, author Scott Onstott shows step-by-step how to build a tiny house, including every virtual stud, sheet of plywood, and appliance going into the project. Along the way, he explores SketchUp features such as components, groups, layers, and textures. By building a house in SketchUp in this detailed manner, you can work out any unforeseen spatial conflicts in the design and virtually eliminate construction problems before you are in the field.
- Importing the house plan
- Framing the structure
- Laying studs and framing walls
- Adding plywood sheathing
- Paneling the roof
- Adding trim, windows, and siding
- Adding interior plywood
- Modeling windows and frames
- Designing the bed, cabinets, counters, and shower
- Adding furniture
- Modeling the trailer
- Animating the tiny house design
Skill Level Intermediate
SketchUp 2015 Essential Trainingwith George Maestri2h 54m Appropriate for all
SketchUp for Architecture: LayOutwith Paul J. Smith6h 17m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Framing the Structure
3. Sheathing the Exterior
4. Applying Exterior Trim, Windows, and Siding
5. Working on the Interior
6. Designing the Slide Out
7. Integrating Built-in Features
8. Adding Furniture
9. Modeling the Trailer and Animating the Tiny House
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.