Understand how to place textures on SketchUp objects with smoothed and curved surfaces. In this video, George shows you how to take a simple bitmap texture and map it to a cylinder. He shows how the initial mapping is affected by hidden geometry and then how to extend the mapping to the entire object.
- View Offline
- Exercise Files
- [Instructor] There are many times when you'll have…curved surfaces in SketchUp and you'll also need…to apply materials and textures to those as well.…So, let's take a look at how…to place textures on curved surfaces.…So, here I have a simple can…which is basically just a cylinder.…I took a circle and then push…and pulled it into this shape.…So, I'm going to go ahead and import…an image and apply it as a texture.…I'm going to go into File, Import…and I'm going to go back to my chapter seven folder here…and I have one here called SoupLabel.jpg.…
Again, I'm going to change this to Texture…and then Import that.…As you can see, just as before,…this floats around the scene…and I can snap it to the side of my can.…If I left click and drag, and make…that the exact same height as the can, it will apply.…If I let go, you'll notice…we have a little bit of a problem here.…That is that it only applies to one…of the faces of this can.…Now, this can looks like it has just one circular face…that goes all the way around…but, remember, when we created curved surfaces…
Note: The core features of SketchUp Make, the free version of SketchUp covered in this course, and SketchUp Pro, the paid version of the program, are identical. Users of both versions should be able to follow along with the training.
- Creating new camera views
- Configuring custom toolbars on Mac and Windows
- Selecting and moving objects
- Drawing lines and shapes
- Creating 3D text in SketchUp
- Measuring and labeling objects
- Working with components
- Creating and applying materials on Mac and Windows
- Animating and rendering your drawings
Skill Level Appropriate for all
SketchUp 2016 Essential Trainingwith George Maestri3h 12m Appropriate for all
SketchUp for Architecture: LayOutwith Paul J. Smith6h 17m Intermediate
SketchUp Pro: Tools and Techniqueswith George Maestri3h 1m Intermediate
SketchUp for Architecture: Fundamentalswith Paul J. Smith4h 49m Intermediate
1. The SketchUp Interface
2. Manipulate Objects
3. Draw in SketchUp
4. Measure and Label
5. Stay Organized
6. Work with Components
7. Materials and Textures: Windows
8. Materials and Textures: Mac
9. Rendering and Animation
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.